Analysis of monthly and daily profiles of DHW use in apartment blocks in Norway
Peer reviewed, Conference object, Journal article
MetadataVis full innførsel
OriginalversjonE3S Web of Conferences. 2020, 172 . 10.1051/e3sconf/202017212002
Profiles of domestic hot water (DHW) use give valuable information for achieving energy saving in buildings. In this article, analysis of monthly and hourly profiles in apartment blocks in Norway was performed. The aim was firstly to identify influencing factors on DHW use and afterwards to define typical DHW use profiles. Due to availability, two different data samples were used for monthly and hourly analysis. Monthly data from 49 apartments showed that approximately 30% of DHW was used in kitchens and the rest 70% in bathrooms. The influence of apartment sizes on DHW use was tested based on monthly profiles. Monthly profiles for three categories of apartments with 33 m2, 51-52 m2, and 68-72 m2 floor area were developed. Cluster analysis allowed us to identify profiles for three groups of apartments with a typical number of residents. In addition, for comparison purpose, DHW hourly profiles in two social housings and two housing cooperatives were investigated. These profiles indicated that there was a difference in when DHW was used in these two types of buildings, with a higher daytime DHW use in social housing. Finally, the measured DHW heat use profiles are compared with the profile in the national standard.